1. White terrorists are called “gunmen.” What does that even mean? A person with a gun? Wouldn’t that be, like, everyone in the US? Other terrorists are called, like, “terrorists.”
2. White terrorists are “troubled loners.” Other terrorists are always suspected of being part of a global plot, even when they are obviously troubled loners.
3. Doing a study on the danger of white terrorists at the Department of Homeland Security will get you sidelined by angry white Congressmen. Doing studies on other kinds of terrorists is a guaranteed promotion.
4. The family of a white terrorist is interviewed, weeping as they wonder where he went wrong. The families of other terrorists are almost never interviewed.
5. White terrorists are part of a “fringe.” Other terrorists are apparently mainstream.
6. White terrorists are random events, like tornadoes. Other terrorists are long-running conspiracies.
7. White terrorists are never called “white.” But other terrorists are given ethnic affiliations.
8. Nobody thinks white terrorists are typical of white people. But other terrorists are considered paragons of their societies.
9. White terrorists are alcoholics, addicts or mentally ill. Other terrorists are apparently clean-living and perfectly sane.
10. There is nothing you can do about white terrorists. Gun control won’t stop them. No policy you could make, no government program, could possibly have an impact on them. But hundreds of billions of dollars must be spent on police and on the Department of Defense, and on TSA, which must virtually strip search 60 million people a year, to deal with other terrorists."
Juan Cole, 08/09/2012
Juan Cole actually wrote this 4 days after a white terrorist, yes, terrorist, murdered 6 and injured 4 people at a Sikh gurdwara in Wisconsin. The terrorist who committed said crime spoke of an impending “racial holy war” beforehand and was a member of white supremacist/neo-Nazi hate groups.
"I think some people bought a rationale that defined everybody who was in any way in rebellion against the established system in the third world as anti-American. There are people who have sustained this kind of mythology. There’s no question that in the ’50s Mandela moved from a nonviolent model toward being allied with the Communists. My point to conservatives is: there weren’t any conservative allies. Churchill allied with Stalin in World War II. I think in a similar tradition, Mandela was desperate by that stage, he saw the scale of the oppression, and the only allies that were available, frankly, were on the hard left."
Newt Gingrich, calling out his commenters for being jerks about Nelson Mandela’s death on his Facebook page, while simultaneously pointing out that politics aren’t the same in every other country.
Short version: Get a broader perspective on how the world works, my America-centric supporters.
EDIT: Gingrich also commented about the situation on his website, offering some sorely needed clarity to his audience.(via shortformblog)
Shale is sort of my self-insert. Anyone who knows me knows that this is so.
Diane Ravitch on The Daily Show.
Kids don’t know that they can do something until they see it done, until they learn about it. Make sure they learn about it.
Belatedly cleaning up and I found a lot of precious things I thought I lost in the chaos of returning home (ie sketchbooks, certain business cards AHHHH)
I am so glad to have this. It’s beautiful.
After that day, I got ready for bed at Sarah’s haus, looked at this and kind of had several emotions.
Thank you, Yssa , you sweet, precious person (((((; - ;)/
bearded vulture(s) by James McCallum
always reblog lammergeiers
I’m pretty sure someone who follows me likes these, or I’m thinking of someone else
I LIKE THEM
I THOUGHT SO
YES THANK YOU
Amy said she trusted me, that I would know the right thing to say on her behalf…
Playing “i Was Lost Without You” faster gives it a completly other mood.
(via spader7)(30,978 plays)
The American government can’t praise Mandela’s steadfastness for sitting in prison, while ignoring our own political prisoners. -@zellieimani
THIS! The “otherizing” of evil that the U.S. regularly engages in is hypocrisy that creates a suffocating stench. And I love that Zellie addressed those who cannot understand why this juxtaposition between Shakur and Mandela rings truthful. Not everyone has access to the truth. So keep sharing it. Critical.
most legit request. yeah, let’s get this shit taken care of. Assata deserves it.